Planks are a simple yet very effective and challenging ab exercise that can be done just about anywhere (gym, home, park, at work in the office….ect)! Best part about planks?! You can get a complete fat melting ab workout in just 3 minutes!
How could something be so simple yet so effective?!
-Planks are an isometric or static exercise. By stabilizing yourself in one single position forces your body to work and engage your deepest core muscles. When planks are performed correctly, this exercise will help improve posture and balance, as well as work other major muscle groups like hips, back, shoulders, and arms
Prep: Lie prone on the floor with feet together and forearms on the ground.
Movement: -Lift entire body off of the floor until you form a straight line from head to toe. Make sure you do not come too high off the floor (hyperextending the lower back).
- Keep chin tucked and back flat
- Hold for desired amount of time (beginners try for 30 sec, more advanced try for 1 minute)
- Complete 3x
Modifications: If this version is of the exercise is too difficult to start out with, implement these modifications..
- 1)Perform in a standard push up position
- 2)Perform with hands elevated on a bench and feet on the floor
- 3)Perform in a push up position with knees on the floor